Snow Leopard News:
1. Why Snow Leopard is an Essential Upgrade
2. Upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard – How to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
3. QucikTime X – QucikTime X features
4. Countdown to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: Everything you need to know
5. Mac OS X Snow Leopard FAQ: What you need to know
6. Mac OS X snow leopard could ship on 28th Aug
7. Apple Mac Snow Leopard vs. Microsoft Winows 7
8. What’s ’64-bit’ on Snow Leopard?
9. What’s the difference between Snow Leopard and Leopard?
Snow Leopard desktop:
What is an AVI?
AVI, is a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of its Video for Windows technology. AVI files can contain both audio and video data in a file container that allows synchronous audio-with-video playback. Like the DVD video format, AVI files support multiple streaming audio and video, although these features are seldom used. Most AVI files also use the file format extensions developed by the Matrox OpenDML group in February 1996. These files are supported by Microsoft, and are unofficially called “AVI 2.0”.
How to Watch AVI movies on Mac OS X?
There are several ways to view them in Mac OS X.
Third Party Applications
There are 2 programs at present that can open .avi files and both are open source and free to download. Many users prefer to keep both installed to provide compatibility with as many file formats as possible.
VLC Player is a cross platform application with a mac version available for download from the VLC website.
MPlayer has a simpler interface but fewer features. It is available from the MPlayer website.
Any remaining AVIs not compatible with the above two, should be able to be handled by Mac OS 9 QuickTime or QuickTime for Windows, each of which have the older versions of the Intel Indeo codec.
Windows Media Player 9 is an application developed by Microsoft for Mac OS X.
Note: Microsoft has ceased the software’s development for Mac OS X and instead promotes another third party plugin for QuickTime called Flip4Mac (See below).
Several third party plug-ins are available to allow users to watch .avi files using Apple’s native multimedia media program. These are installed into the QuickTime plug-ins folder and usually require little or no setting up.
1. Perian. Currently the best and most all-encompassing Quicktime plugin that will guarentee to play almost any codec within an AVI file.Includes support for MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio, AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3, (i.e loads of Codecs), to play windows media (.wma,.wmv) files you will also need Flip4Mac (See below).
2. 3ivX codec. A free version of this MPEG4 codec is available for Mac users on their download page.
3. A52 codec. This codec is very useful for viewing .avi files encoded with A52 audio.
4. DivX for Mac codec. A free version is available for watching DivX movies, a commercial solution for encoding movies is available as a free 15 day demo. Free beta versions (including DivX 6 for Intel based macs) are also available from labs.divx.com
5. Flip4Mac. A free solution, offering playback of AVI, ASF, ASX and non-DRM protected WMA and WMV files. Microsoft site
AVI Converters on Mac
1. To convert DVD to AVI to play on Mac,
You can convert DVD to AVI by using DVD Ripper for Mac, which is a powerful DVD to AVI Mac software that can rip DVDs to AVI format with super high quality.
2. To convert other videos to AVI and convert AVI to other format such as MOV, MP4, MPEG on Mac,
You can use AVI Converter for Mac, which is the best AVI Converter for Mac to convert video to AVI on Mac and to convert AVI to MOV, MP4, etc. on Mac. It also can trim AVI and capture pictures from AVI videos on Mac.
3. To convert the video files from AVI to DVD on Mac,
you need to use AVI to DVD Converter for Mac, here I recommend Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac, this software has everything you would like to see in a Mac DVD burner software. With high quality to burn your AVI Video on Mac, it also supports cropping, trimming, creating dvd menus and applying various effects on the videos!
Now, you downloaded an .ISO or .dmg file, and now you want to burn it to CD or DVD on your Mac. Fear not! No extra software is required.
The delightfully useful Disk Utility built into OS X can burn disk images to optical media in a few easy steps. Read on for how to go about burning your new disc.
1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).
2. Insert your blank DVD or CD.
3. Drag and drop your .ISO file to the left pane in Disk Utility. Now both the blank disk and the .ISO should be listed.
4. Select the .ISO file you want to burn to DVD, and click on the “Burn” button. A dialog box confirming the destination (your blank CD/DVD) will appear, as shown:
5. Sit back and wait while your new disc gets written!
Now you have finished burning ISO to DVD on Mac with Disk Utility, there is also another better way to Burn ISO file to DVD Disc on Mac
Related Topic: How to Burn ISO Files to DVD on Mac With DVD Creator Std?
DVD Creator Std for Mac offers you a whole solution for burning various video formats, VIDEO_TS, dvdmedia, ISO file to DVD. With DVD Creator Std, you can not only burn AVI, MOV, FLV, MPG, TS, TP, etc. Videos to DVD easily with animation menu, but also burn VIDEO_TS, dvdmedia and ISO file directly to DVD to meet more requirements from Mac users.
Here check the main functions of DVD Creator Std:
1. Supports more video formats.
Regular Video: WMV, AVI, MPEG, MP4, 3GPP, 3GPP2, MOV, VOB, DAT, ASF.
HD Video: AVCHD, MKV, TS, MTS, M2TS, TP, TRP, MOD, TOD.
FLV Video: Youtube Video, Google Video,etc.
2. Especially Support VIDEO_TS and ISO file to DVD burning.
3. Import .dvdmedia file which can be directly displayed in DVD Player and burn to DVD.
4. Three menu style available to video: Thumbnail, Name List and No Menu.
5. Simple & practical edit function to adjust the display screen.
6. Burn DVD with D9 or D5 disk optional.
7. Support external driver burning.
With all these practical and easy-operational functions, it only costs you $29. Get more information of this Mac DVD Creator Std.
As mac users are very happy and exciting about the latest iLife 09 package, there are something still can’t be satisfied. When you’d like to burn Divx to DVD, the iDVD does not allow you to drag it(the iDVD can’t burn Divx to DVD). So we’d find some other way to do it.
First,let’s start with what is Divx, of course is a video format, it’s a container format which is also an extension to the AVI file format, it’s a very famous because it can compress the lengthy video to a small size with not bad quality.
Second, let’s talk about iDVD, actually, I remember, when I use iDVD 06′ 3 years ago, the program support Divx AVI format very well, not only avi, but lots of other formats. And gradually, iDVD somehow cuts its support video formats, and iDVD 08 09 only supports some of video formats, especially for the AVI type.
Now, the solution, After we know the iDVD can’t support Divx, we have to choose the third party program Mac DVD Creator to do the job, and here is the step by step guide for using DVD Creator to burn Divx to DVD.
First, click to download and install DVD Creator for Mac program to your Mac.
Second, load the file, you can easily load your Divx file by just select it from your library or Hard disk.
Third, after you finish all your setting, you can insert the proper DVD type like DVD-9 or DVD-5, then click “Start”, and wait for the program to burn your fresh DVD.
Note, in addition, you can even edit the original video if you are interesting in special colors, or you just wanna some parts of the video to burn into DVD.
Every day only one software package is available at an unbelievable price on MacZot.com. Today is DVD Copy Pro for Mac,50% off to get it. Help you to backup DVD Movies to DVD disc, ISO file, DVD Folder, D9 to D5 on Mac.
Learn More: http://www.maczot.com
As we know, it’s so easy to copy dvd (dvd to iso, dvd to disc, dvd to dvd folder,dvd to player media) using mac dvd copy, But when the region dvds come out, you will consider how to copy different region dvds on your mac, don’t worry, just need an external hard drive and a dvd copy software which can support External Hard Drive. Follow the step-by-step guide:
Step 1 . connecting the external hard drive to your Mac, then click to download and run DVD Copy Pro for Mac, which is the new mac dvd copy software from Wondershare.
Step 2 . Insert your dvd, the copy program will let you select the way to copy your DVD. You can select to copy a new DVD disc or copy to your hard disk on your Mac.
Step 3 . If you choose to copy the DVD to your hard disk, you can save it to DVD Folder, DVD Player Media or ISO file. Then you need to choose where to save your DVD file.
Step 4 . After finishing setting, the program will start copying DVD and save the file to the place you selected.
At last, you can enjoy your DVD movies on your Mac or share with your friends!
Note: in addition, when you choose to copy a new dvd disc, you will fill in the dvd name for the new blank disc, even when you want to make more copies of the disc and the best copy speed, you can select the burning speed and copies.